Photo

How to configure cgminer for a LTC rig with a 7950 and a 7540D?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CoinXplorer-LTC

CoinXplorer-LTC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

I am looking for some clues to setup my new miner with a 7950 and an CPU/APU integrated 7450D. The last one only may add some 60kH/s, but since its there I'd like to have it mining along the 7950. Someone suggested to run 2x cgminer for better performance because of the huge difference between the two cards. How should I do this? Any help would be very much appreciated.

#2 bmoconno-LTC

bmoconno-LTC

Uber Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hello CoinXplorer!

If you run cgminer with the following command:

cgminer -n

It will return a list of all available graphics cards including, presumably, your graphic card part of your APU.  If it only lists one device, it's possible that you might need to restart your computer and enter the BIOS (typically done by hitting F1 or DEL immediately after your monitor first lights up after a reset).  From the BIOS you'll need to find an option for your "OnBoard Video" or something along those lines and it should give three options when selected: Disable, Force, and Automatic.  You'll want to change this setting to Force, then save settings and start your computer into Windows.  Once you're in windows, try running the cgminer -n command again.  

Note: If there is still only one device listed, it's possible that the APU might not show up as a discrete graphics card in cgminer.  If this is the case, you might need to enable CrossFire in the Catalyst Control Center and use one instance of cgminer.  While running in CrossFire mode isn't typically recommend in crypto mining, it should prove beneficial for you in that it's the only way to take advantage of the extra shaders on your CPU.  Otherwise, continue...

From there, you can then determine the number assigned to each your GPU and your APU.  Using those numbers you can then start to setup two different instances of cgminer, the first step being the creation of a .bat file to help you get the settings right and keep them separate for each card.  This .bat file should contain the following text, or something like it:

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
start cgminer -d 0 --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://eu.wemineltc.com:3333 -u USERNAME.APUWORKER -p PASSWORD
start cgminer -d 1 --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://eu.wemineltc.com:3333 -u USERNAME.GPUWORKER -p PASSWORD

This .bat file assumes that when you ran cgminer with the -n argument, it told you that the APU was device 0, if that is not correct swap the numbers after '-d' in both cgminer lines of the .bat file.

Hopefully this will get you going, form there you can change/add settings to ensure that you get the most out of both your GPU and APU.

If you run into any problems, please respond here and I'll do my best to help you sort them out.

If I've helped you, or you just think I'm awesome, please feel free to send some LTC my way!  LedsLePTBaS8NaXj61FGWBpbBTJHHhPhnP

#3 CoinXplorer-LTC

CoinXplorer-LTC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Uber, thanks! I should have mentioned my rig is running on Xubuntu from an 8 Gb usb flash drive. Don't get me wrong: I am still a total newby on Linux, so do you happen to know how to port your .bat into a Xubuntu script?
I already have two scripts: 7950.sh and 7450D.sh. Each of them works separately, but I have no clue how to start them simultaneously in a single startup script.

#4 CoinXplorer-LTC

CoinXplorer-LTC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

Please standby, getting closer now. A moment ago I found:

"(...) create a small shell script to launch your programs, and maker the keyboard shortcut execute that script"

#!/bin/sh

command1 &
command2 &
command3 &

#5 CoinXplorer-LTC

CoinXplorer-LTC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

To add some extra info, this are basically the components of the miner:

-Sapphire HD 7950 Dual-X
-AsRock FM2A85X Extreme6
-AMD A6-5400K socket FM2
-Kingston HyperX Genesis 4 GB DIMM DDR3-1600
with 2 spare PCIe slots left on the mobo for future expansion.

Script for 7950.sh:

#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
cd /home/jw/cgminer-3.2.0

# GPU 0 AMD Radeon HD 7950
./cgminer --scrypt --api-listen --api-network --api-port 4028 -d 0 -I 20 -g 1 -w 256 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --thread-concurrency 21712 -o stratum+tcp://eu.wemineltc.com:3333 -u CoinXplorer.1 -p 1 --failover-only -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u coinxplorer.1 -p 1

Script for 7450.sh

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/jw/cgminer-3.2.0

# GPU 1 AMD Radeon HD 7540D
./cgminer -d 1 --scrypt --api-listen --api-network --api-port 4029 -g 1 -o stratum+tcp://eu.wemineltc.com:3333 -u CoinXplorer.2 -p 2 --failover-only -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u coinxplorer.2 -p 2

And finally "startall.sh":

#!/bin/sh

# GPU 0 AMD Radeon HD 7950:
/home/jw/7950.sh &

# GPU 1 AMD Radeon HD 7540D:
/home/jw/7950.sh &

Hope this helps someone pointing me in the right direction.

#6 CoinXplorer-LTC

CoinXplorer-LTC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

To conclude the link to a screenshot of the miner page (included in the cgminer distribution files):

http://www.screencas.../t/j3LPkMWYbG3v

#7 bmoconno-LTC

bmoconno-LTC

Uber Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hey CoinXplorer, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I just got home from work.  :(

So, what is your current problem?  Does your startall.sh script not work?  Does it launch two cgminers (type screen -ls in a terminal to see if there are two instances of cgminer running on different screens)?

Did you try making your startall.sh script look like this?

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/jw

# GPU 0 AMD Radeon HD 7950:
./7950.sh &

# GPU 1 AMD Radeon HD 7540D:
./7950.sh &

Or alternatively... something like this?

#!/bin/sh
cg /home/jw/cgminer-3.2.0

# GPU 0 AMD Radeon HD 7950
./cgminer --scrypt --api-listen --api-network --api-port 4028 -d 0 -I 20 -g 1 -w 256 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --thread-concurrency 21712 -o stratum+tcp://eu.wemineltc.com:3333 -u CoinXplorer.1 -p 1 --failover-only -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u coinxplorer.1 -p 1 &

# GPU 1 AMD Radeon HD 7540D
./cgminer -d 1 --scrypt --api-listen --api-network --api-port 4029 -g 1 -o stratum+tcp://eu.wemineltc.com:3333 -u CoinXplorer.2 -p 2 --failover-only -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u coinxplorer.2 -p 2 &

Let me know how it goes?  Also, are you looking to have this start automatically whenever the computer starts?  Or do you just want it in one handy script for launching it easily?

If I've helped you, or you just think I'm awesome, please feel free to send some LTC my way!  LedsLePTBaS8NaXj61FGWBpbBTJHHhPhnP

#8 CoinXplorer-LTC

CoinXplorer-LTC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hey Uber, thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate it. Reading back your first reply I checked with "./cgminer -n" which gave the following result:

jw@xubuntu-miner:~/cgminer-3.2.0$ ./cgminer -n
[2013-06-09 11:15:44] CL Platform 0 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[2013-06-09 11:15:44] CL Platform 0 name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
[2013-06-09 11:15:44] CL Platform 0 version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1113.2)
[2013-06-09 11:15:44] Platform 0 devices: 2
[2013-06-09 11:15:44]     0    Tahiti
[2013-06-09 11:15:44]     1    Scrapper
[2013-06-09 11:15:44] ADL Initialisation Error! Error -1!
[2013-06-09 11:15:44] 2 GPU devices max detected
[2013-06-09 11:15:44] USB all: found 13 devices - listing known devices
[2013-06-09 11:15:44] No known USB devices

I noticed the ADL inititalisation error. I guess best to do first is to build Xubuntu again from step 1. My current version was made on a testing platform with only the 7950 available. Perhaps the 7450D in the APU is not recognized? (Strangely though device 0 and 1 are detected...)

Will report later.

CX

#9 bmoconno-LTC

bmoconno-LTC

Uber Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

I wouldn't worry about the "ADL Initialization Error".  The 7450D is the one listed as "Scrapper" as that's the chipset it uses.

Also, my title is Uber Miner, my username is bmoconno.  :D

#10 CoinXplorer-LTC

CoinXplorer-LTC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hey bmoconno,

Sorry for the confusion, should have looked better. Just to try a different approach I changed the primary output device in the BIOS to "onboard" instead of "PCIe". After

sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial --force

both gpu's were recognized without errors.

Next I tryed two different screens for 7450.sh respectively 7950.sh:

su jw -c "screen -dmS scrapper /home/jw/7450.sh"
su jw -c "screen -dmS tahiti /home/jw/7950.sh"

and voila, both are running together and "talking" to miner.php as well.

Next I want both to start in my "autostartcgminer.sh", but that has to wait till tomorrow. It is already pretty late in the evening on this side of the pond.

Thanks for your guidance!

#11 bmoconno-LTC

bmoconno-LTC

Uber Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

Hey CoinXplorer,

I just wanted to do a little followup and see how your scripts are working?  Also, I was wondering what kind of numbers you get off your APU and what is the added power draw when it's running/enabled?

Thanks!